YouMail Privacy Statement
Updated: June 18th, 2019
This privacy statement (this "Privacy Statement") is designed to assist you in understanding how YouMail uses and safeguards the information you provide.
1. What's Needed To Provide Our Service
To provide the YouMail service to you, YouMail will:
- Collect info needed to establish your account and identify you as a unique user. This includes your telephone number(s), email address, name, other personal information, and, if you opt-in, information from your address book and your social network connections.
- Leverage third-party services, such as transcription providers, text message gateways, caller ID providers, telephony service providers, and others. YouMail may provide specific information to these third-parties, as may be necessary for them to provide specific services to YouMail. For example, to send you a text message, YouMail must provide your mobile number to a text message gateway service.
- Collect and store voicemails. Voicemails are stored securely and are available only to your account and via your login credentials. YouMail offers user-selected features that permit you to (i) receive voicemail messages as files in your inbox, (ii) send voicemail messages to other YouMail users, (iii) forward messages, and (iv) share messages with others. If you use any or all of these features, you assume the responsibility of the distribution of such messages and that personal information contained in such messages may be made public.
2. Marketing, Advertising, and Data Sales
YouMail may be provided to you (a) by your existing carrier as your default voicemail, or (b) directly by YouMail as a replacement for your existing carrier's voicemail.
When YouMail is provided directly by your carrier, unless you separately agree via your carrier, there is no third-party advertising added by YouMail, there is no marketing to you based on any of your "CPNI" data, and YouMail provides no data on you or your communication actions to third-parties.
When you sign up for YouMail directly, YouMail may:
- Contact you using info you provided when creating or updating your YouMail account. This includes via the email address associated with your YouMail account, via text message or call to the phone number associated with your YouMail account, or via your YouMail voicemail. This may be for transactional purposes, such as service announcements, policy modifications (including modifications to this Privacy Statement), administrative messages, or to respond to feedback provided by you. Or it may be to occasionally market YouMail features and services to you.
- Advertise to you using third-party advertising companies. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to YouMail's and other websites and/or information about your device, including your mobile ID, to provide advertisements about goods and services of potential interest to you.
- Collect and process general demographic and usage info. YouMail, or a third-party service provider working on YouMail's behalf, collects and processes, non-personally identifiable, general information about demographics (age, gender, and interests) and usage of the YouMail services. This may include combining your actions on the YouMail web site or in apps with Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. This category of information is general and cannot and is not used to identify specific users, telephone numbers, or email addresses.
- Provide third-parties with usage and call-related data solely for non-marketing purposes, such as identifying and blocking robocallers. These data may be provided by YouMail to third-parties, such as wireless carriers and the vendors they work with (a) to improve the quality of our services and those of such third parties, (b) to permit such third parties to determine whether or not a call is likely from an unwanted robocallers, and (c) to help carriers, law enforcement, and others track down, disrupt, and/or prosecute robocallers and illegal actors.
You have significant choices as to what types of advertising and what types of data collection YouMail can do. To opt out of:
- Getting marketing e-mails from YouMail: simply unsubscribe using a link in any email or contact YouMail at [email protected].
- Seeing interest-based advertising: simply use the appropriate settings on your device. When you have opted out, advertisers will not use in-app information collected from that device to infer your interests or serve ads to that device that are targeted based on your inferred interests.
- Letting Google using personal information in ads: simply use the Google Ads settings at http://www.google.com/settings/ads. This includes information collected by Google or its partners.
- Having your mobile IDs used to target ads by YouMail or 3rd-Parties: simply go to http://www.aboutads.info/appchoices.
If you would like more information about various third-party ad networks or to know your choices about limiting the information used by these companies, including disallowing targeted advertising based on location, http://networkadvertising.org.
4. Notification of Changes
The Terms of this Privacy Statement are subject to change by the Company at any time, effective upon posting an updated Privacy Statement on the Website and providing you with notice. Any use or access of any of the Services after such notice shall constitute acceptance by you of such changes.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, YouMail's practices, or your dealings with YouMail, you can contact us at [email protected].