YouMail Privacy Statement
Updated: February 10, 2016
This privacy statement (this "Privacy Statement") is designed to assist you in understanding how YouMail uses and safeguards the information you provide.
1. Basic Service Provision
To provide the YouMail service to you, YouMail will:
- Collect key information necessary to identify you as a unique user and to establish your account. This includes your telephone number(s), email address, name, other personal information, and, if you opt-in, can include information from your address book and your social network connections.
- Leverage third-party services, such as transcription providers, text message gateways, and others. YouMail may provide specific information to third-parties, as may be necessary for such third-parties to provide specific services to YouMail, including, for example, to send you a text message, YouMail will need to provide your mobile number to a text message gateway service.
- Collect and store voicemails. Voicemails are stored securely and are available only to your account and via your login credentials. YouMail offers user-selected features that permit you to (i) receive voicemail messages as files in your inbox, (ii) send voicemail messages to other YouMail users, (iii) forward messages, and (iv) share messages with others. If you select to use any or all of these features, you assume the responsibility of the distribution of such messages and that personal information contained in such messages may be made public.
2. Marketing, Advertising, and Data Sales
YouMail may be provided to you (i) by your existing carrier as your default voicemail, or (ii) directly by YouMail as a replacement for your existing carrier's voicemail. When YouMail is provided directly by your carrier, unless you separately agree via your carrier, there is no third-party advertising added by YouMail, there is no marketing to the user based on any of your "CPNI" data, and YouMail provides no data on you or your communication actions to third-parties. When you sign up for YouMail directly, YouMail may:
- Market services to you. YouMail collects and processes, or has third-party service providers who collect and process on YouMail's behalf, information about demographics and usage of the services that help guide and carry out YouMail marketing activities. Information usage in this category is general and in no way can be used to identify specific users, telephone numbers, or email addresses.
- Provide usage related data. For non-marketing purposes, YouMail may provide third-parties with data related to your usage of the service in order to improve the quality of our services and those of such third parties. For example, YouMail may provide data to third-party service providers in order to provide more accurate caller ID information on incoming calls.
- Provide ads to you, using third-party advertising companies. Third-party advertising companies may use information (not including your name, address email address or telephone number) about your visits to YouMail's and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice or to know your choices about limiting the information used by these companies, visit http://networkadvertising.org.
- Combine your actions on the YouMail web site with Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting to collect non-personally identifiable, general information about the age, gender, and interests of people using the service. You can use the Google Ads settings at http://www.google.com/settings/ads to opt-out from participating in this data collection.
- Contact you via email or your YouMail voicemail. YouMail reserves the right to send you messages via the email address associated with your YouMail account or via your YouMail voicemail in order to inform you about service announcements, policy modifications (including modifications to this Privacy Statement) and administrative messages or respond to feedback provided by you. YouMail can also keep you up to date with news about YouMail software and services. If you do not want to be kept informed in this way by email, you may unsubscribe using a link in any email or contact YouMail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use feedback explicitly provided to YouMail, through email, voicemail, or feedback forms to improve the YouMail service and/or to display comments on the Website or other communications.
3. Location and Sensor Data Collection
YouMail may collect anonymized sensor and location data on its own or through various third-party SDKs. Such collected and anonymized information (including information from GPS receivers, accelerometers, gyroscopes, and other sensors) can allow us or third parties to determine your device location, acceleration, and orientation.
- Use this data to help us design, provide, or improve existing or future YouMail services and features.
- Send this data to third parties (i) to generate analytic reports on how users use our apps and services, or (ii) for other non-direct marketing purposes.
- Provide this data to third parties to help such third parties create and analyze certain audiences for programmatic in-app advertisement targeting.
4. Notification of Changes
The Terms of this Privacy Statement are subject to change by the Company at any time, effective upon posting an updated Privacy Statement on the Website and providing you with notice. Any use or access of any of the Services after such notice shall constitute acceptance by you of such changes.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, YouMail's practices, or your dealings with YouMail, you can contact us at email@example.com.